Investing in people and skills
The more skills your staff have, the more innovative they can be. They will also be more capable with new technology. Skilled workers can also work more quickly with fewer mistakes. They generally require less supervision, accept more responsibility and are better communicators. Training leads to higher skills and wages and lower staff turnover.
Investing in people and skills includes:
- giving employees the training they need to be effective
- providing all employees with opportunities for formal learning (e.g. industry qualifications, job specific training)
- structuring the workplace so that experienced employees can give support/coaching to less experienced staff
- auditing the skill level of your employees, and making sure there are high levels of literacy, numeracy and computer skills
- providing staff with personal career development discussions or plans.
Main productivity focus
- DoL Health and Safety
- DoL Immigration
- Inland Revenue
- Outward Bound
- Kapiti Island Alive Tours
- Toll Tranzlink