Review of the Department of Labour's interactions with Pike River Coal Limited
Principal Terms of Reference
- Determination of a complete record of the Department's interactions, whether through its health and safety inspectorate or otherwise, with the Mine including:
- All site visits or other forms of inspection;
- All communications (whether oral or written), including the provision of information and advice;
- All notices or other requirements or requests made of the Mine by the Department;
- All responses (if any) from the mine to such notices, requirements or requests.
- An assessment of these interactions including reference to:
- The nature of the Department's regulatory role;
- The qualifications and experience of those undertaking it;
- The Department's documented approach to discharging its regulatory responsibilities under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 including its Enforcement Policy.
- An assessment of the Department's management and support of its interactions with the Mine including:
- The systems and processes in place to ensure appropriate matters were raised and followed up;
- The support for and management of those employees carrying out the regulatory role.
The full terms of reference are in Appendix 5.